Wednesday, November 30, 2005

"Pop--Somebody Needs to Pimp Your Ride"

I love my truck...It is a beat up Toyota Tacoma with 270K miles on it. It has been a true partner in the home rehabilitation process--carrying everything I ask it to:

40-20 foot long 5/8 inch rebar? No problem...First, take the car seat for the kid and place it on the top of the cab. Then lay the rebar on the seat and have it overhang the front and back bumpers. Next tie rebar to the front and back bumpers. Finally, take rope and tie the seat an rebar through the cab...Oh yeah, make sure you tie the doors "shut" so you have to crawl through a window. Don't bother with the red-flag thingy--it'll just fall off anyway. And viola! You are on your way...Who needs a lumber rack?

When you have a truck like this, you don't have to worry about keeping it nice and clean...And little things like missing hubcaps, broken windshields, scratches, and compressed cabs (from the rebar), only add character...at least I think so. My 9 year old son, however, thinks differently.

A few weeks back, I picked up the kids from school in the ol' beast--filled with a load for a trip to the dump. I had a soda with me too. After finishing the soda, I tossed it between my son's legs on the floor in the passenger section--a perfectly natural thing to do. My son looks up at me and says, "That's digusting. Somebody really needs to pimp your ride!"

Kids. They can't really appreciate some of the finer things in life--like a truck that does everything you ask of it, that requires no upkeep, that starts everytime I turn the key. When he gets older, he'll learn...that there is nothing finer than a beat up old truck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home