Monday, October 31, 2005

I Can See Clearly Now

Sing along if you wish, cuz I just put in the LAST of our 47 widows!

We used Marvin Ultimate Wooden Double Hungs and a few Marvin Wooden Casement and Awning-type windows as well. They are sweet...and look much more appropriate than the 1970's aluminum windows that were present in the home when we purchased it.

In our town, windows are a big bone of contention for historic houses--it is perhaps the single most discussed building material discussed during our town's "Historic Preservation Review Commission" meetings And for good reason--windows are such a character defining element that bad window replacement can really take a toll on the historic integrity of a home...While, not authentic, the Marvins are much more appropriate regarding dimensions and materials.

My preference, of course, would have to been able to keep the original windows, but like so much on this home, they were removed long ago. Too bad. I think original windows look best, and with some upkeep, I don't think one loses much in energy costs. That being said, I'm doing the best I can to bring back the look and style of the home...Is it perfect? No. But it's not bad either. And now I can see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home