Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Getting All High and Mighty

"Therefore when we build, let us think that we build forever. Let us not be for present delight, nor for present use alone, let it be for such work as our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone on stone, that a time is to come when those stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! this our fathers did for us."
John Ruskin
I was given a set of old books that belonged to my father-in-law that covered the basics of home construction (from a 1920’s point of view). The books are great and as I skimmed through them I read the preface which had the above quote…It put in perspective why the many hours, too much money, and all the cuts and bruises are being expended on this project…. I hope, in a small way, I am giving thanks to those who built, with hands unknown, what once was (and will be again) a gift to the street.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Great, great quote. It seems to define what I'm attempting to do as well.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious what the books are? I have a feeling we'd love to be able to read them, in our 20s house.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Jennifer--

The books are: Audel's Carpenter's and Builder's Guides (#1 through 4) by Theo. Audel and Co. Publishers...

Hope that helps.

Greg and Tony: The thing that helps with our home is that it will likely be the home I croak in...so I don't mind taking the time to "do it right" (or at least in my way of thinking.)

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home