Thursday, March 09, 2006

Tankless Water Heater




As we have gone through the process of rehabilitating this house, we have tried to live by the motto:

"Do it right. Do it once. And never do it again!"

So as we have added mechanicals, we have tried to pick items that would last, be energy efficient, and, hopefully, pay for themselves over time. With a number of items, I was afraid I might have "buyers remorse," but so far I'm glad we chose quality items (even though it took more out of the pocket book than we hoped).

A prime example is spending about 2 times the amount of money for a normal (higher end) conventional water heater and splurging on a tankless model.

We chose the Noritz 84DV (direct vent) and so far it has exceeded my expectations...endless hot water, a nice small package (in the picture below, the water heater will be enclosed in a closet), quality construction (my plumber friends say this will be the last water heater we'll buy...we'll see), and our energy bills have already seen a decrease...I'm glad we purchased it.

If you are thinking of replacing your water heater, you might consider one of these...but you will need to make sure you have enough gas going to the appliance, a place for venting, and a few extra bucks in the wallet...But if you are like me, you won't have buyer's remorse after your purchase.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said...

My water heater will need to be replaced over the next year or two and I've never heard of these. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm going to look into this as a option.

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, we just installed a tankless water heater a few weeks ago. We've got such a tiny house (804 sq.ft) that we really needed appliances that save space...we haven't gotten a gas bill since we installed the heater but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I can actually FILL the bathtub with HOT water, before it only made it halfway before it was cold.

The unit itself does cost quite a bit more than the traditional water heater but I say its well worth it. (Also pays to know a plumber!)

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home